Toxic Gas Leak Detector

 

What you need to know about Carbon Monoxide Gas

Carbon Monoxide Gas is better known as a silent and deadly killer. It is the leading cause of accidental poisonings in America especially but this poisoning is preventable, all it requires is a little vigilance at home. As per the Center for Disease Control, there are 500 carbon monoxide fatalities and over 15,000 related ER visits each year.

Carbon monoxide can be present in your house but you cannot have an idea about it because this gas is not an obvious poison, it is invisible without any taste or odor. This is a gas that does not call out 'look at me, look at me’! This makes it all the more dangerous.

The main sources of Carbon monoxide are non- electric heaters, motor boats, motor vehicles, car exhaust and fire smoke. This gas can leak into your house through any outlet from the above mentioned sources. Charcoal grills, smoke, kerosene heaters, spray paints and paint related chemicals, and gas water heaters, indoor tractor pulls, gasoline powered or propane powered devices, cigarette can all emit carbon monoxide fumes.

Carbon Monoxide Gas When any of the above mentioned appliances are used, the potential for carbon dioxide poisoning also exists side by side. However, if you take certain precautious, it will keep you and your family at a reduced risk. Improper boating such as poor boat ventilation, hanging around a boat that is running its engine, back drafting at a high bow angle or swimming near a boat that is running is all very risky. Barbequing indoors, using electric generators, working inside with combustible fumes and gasses, or riding in the back of a pickup truck is all very risky.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning should never be taken lightly. You should consult your doctor as soon as possible. The symptoms of poisoning are similar to those of flu so this complication is usually very easy to write out unless the same symptoms are observed in other family members or pets. The symptoms include unconsciousness, coma, low blood pressure, trouble breathing, convulsion, dizziness, sleepiness, headaches, anxiety, fast heart rate, chest pain, weakness in the muscles, vomiting, low blood pressure and coma.

It is necessary to take precautions against this poisoning gas. Firstly you can buy a carbon monoxide detector which is available in the local markets pretty cheap which monitor the level of carbon monoxide and alarm you when necessary. Check your water heater and fire place regularly and see that they are free of debris such as bird nests. Other household appliances such as ovens and furnaces should be checked to see that they are working properly, have open air ducts and have good ventilation. Cars or boat motors should never be started with the garage door down, they should not be left running for a long period of time and cars that are stuck up in traffic should be turned off to avoid exhaust. Barbequing and operating with gas powered tools should strictly not be done in the house.