Toxic Gas Leak Detector

 

Gas Grills Often Turn Out Dangerous

Many accident reports from consumers are proof of the frequently occurring flaws in gas grills manufacturing.

Grills, especially gas grills, are an equipment to be used with caution and care, as they may just put you in danger. Most of the times, fires are started by gas tanks of such grills.

No further than November 17, a fire devastated the back porch of a house. It was started from a debris fire that was not completely extinguished and came dangerously close to three propane tanks for a gas grill that Robert Delphia was keeping on the porch. The pressure relief valve on one of the tanks activated, resulting in a loud noise that was initially described as an explosion, but the tanks did not explode. Fortunately, the incident ended quickly without victims or injuries, as the fire was noticed and reported in an incipient stage by the Police Officer on patrol.

This was a case of external ignition factor, but there are many reported cases when fire is started as a result of manufacturing flaws. Thus, although confined within manufacturing standard limitations, there are still reported cases of home accidents occurring because of manufacturing problems.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission receives reports of such accidents or malfunction cases that might endanger the user, analyzes the situation and may decide to recall dangerous products. These are some examples of recalled grills and their producers:

* Jenn-Air Downdraft Gas Cooktops produced by Maytag Corp., of Newton, Iowa.
o November 18: 1,170 units were recalled.
o Cause: switches are located too close to the gas tubing that leads to the grill burner. The produced electrical arch represents a fire hazard.
o Reports: 4 reports - fire catching during use as a result of a gas leak, no injuries.
* Five-burner Vermont Castings barbeque grills produced by CFM Corporation, Canada.
o November 10: 12,500 units were recalled.
o Cause: gas leak and fire hazard.
o Reports: 38 reports - gas leaks, but no injuries or property damage.
* Beefmaster Explorer Outdoor Gas Grill produced by Nexgrill Industries, Inc., of Walnut, Los Angeles County.
o October 21: 10,000 units were recalled.
o Cause: when adjusting the gas pressure regulator the label on the valve can become positioned so consumers cannot see what it indicates, thus it could be left on by mistake.
o Reports: 2 reports – gas leaks but no injuries or property damage.

And these are only few of the dangerous products reported lately. A little too many, aren't they? So, how come that so many inappropriately manufactured products get to reach the stores and finally the consumers? Laura Ciocan writes for www.natural-gas-grills.info where you can find articles, buying tips and reviews of popular gas grills.